Review: Hairspray (5/5)

Good morning Baltimore and good morning movie musical die hards. I know that it’s been a while since Nikki Blonsky and the rest of the “Hairspray” ensemble (that includes John Travolta in Ms. Piggy’s costume) grooved their way to theatres and into our hearts. I absolutely love the movie, but apparently, it took me a long time to actually make a review of it. The movie is just so damn good that I honestly do not know what to write then. What I know for a fact is that “Hairspray” is the bounciest and most feel-good movie musical that I have seen. This is definitely in my top ten list of most favorite movies of all time.

So what makes this film special?

1. The song numbers are infectious and unforgettable. There are tunes that can turn non-dancers into JabbaWockeeZ. My favorites are “You Can’t Stop The Beat”, “Good Morning Baltimore”, “Run and Tell That”, “The New Girl In Town”, and “Welcome To The ‘60s”. Meanwhile, the slow songs will stick to your head like gum on hair: Blonsky’s love song to Zac Efron “I Can Hear The Bells” and Queen Latifah’s diva rendition of “I Know Where I’ve Been”.

2. “Hairspray” is highly entertaining and 100% mainstream. A storyline that is sensible and yet, free from complicated hooplas. It has everything for everyone – good music, excellently choreographed dance numbers, wackiness, romance, and light drama.

3. Its message is clear. The film pushed the issue on racial integration without being over the top preachy and ambiguous. Obama for President!

4. Well-acted by a sterling cast, composed of Nikki Blonsky, John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Christopher Walken, Brittany Snow, Elijah Kelley, and James Marsden.

5. And lastly, when the music fades and the dancers rest their tired feet, you will still find yourself smiling. There is an overwhelming positive energy and vibrancy surrounding the film, so contagious that it is impossible not to be carried away.

On that note, I give “Hairpray” topnotch recommendation as a must-see, no-frills, flashy, entertaining, and wholesome romp. When they said there’s something big coming your way, they were right.

2 comments:

Visual Velocity said...

They're mounting a theater production of Hairspray here in Manila. Cast includes Nyoy Volante and Dulce. Sounds promising.

Fidel Antonio Medel said...

I've heard of it. That's why I published this old review from my Multiply site. Michael de Mesa will be playing John Travolta's character and Dulce will be playing Queen Latifah's.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails